Sunday, October 24, 2010

Do we tell children what they want to be when they grow up?

A young niece asked me one day about jobs of different kinds of people from policemen, firemen, bankers, and all that. Then she asked me, if a fireman made lots of money. I told her, well, not really a lot, but he saves so many lives, reminding her of the tall building that caught fire and how the firemen there saved lots of people. Then, she asked me about banks and why so many are closing. I tried my best to explain about all that. Then she said, "so, this banker who lost so much money and now people have nothing to eat, but he still gets paid lots of money for making a mistake but still people suffer? Yet, a fireman gets so little money for saving so many lives? What's up with that?"

I shrugged my shoulders and also replied, "yeah, what's up with that."

Finally, my niece answers, "Most of friends say, they want to be actresses, models and doctors. They said, their parents say, it is the only way to make lots of money".

Oh well... I shrug my shoulders and this time, breathe a small sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment