Sunday, October 24, 2010

Time and the decimal point

It always fascinates me when I watch a sporting event, and one runner beats the other by a fraction of a second. Time apparently can be divided into so many tiny decimal points, it can drive me insane thinking of the possibilities. Like 1.0001 is differnt from 1.00010001 and even the number 1.000100100000001, and yes, this can go on and on and on.

That is why, I think, time travel, by leaving this space and "time" is not possible (you know, the type where the physical body disappears and appears in a different era) because of my way of thinking that there is no specific point in time, due to the huge number of decimal points.

I think it can apply to matter itself. When we divide a piece of stone, and keep going on and on and on, we eventually go down to the smallest particle known which is an atom. But since it is matter and occupies space, maybe, an atom can still be divided, indefinitely? I don't know, I am just thinking out loud.

No comments:

Post a Comment